P-EBT Information

  • The State of Vermont has just been approved to issue Pandemic- Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) cards for September 2020 - June 2021. P-EBT benefits are funds provided on an electronic benefit transfer card that a household may use to purchase food items at grocery stores, convenience stores, online retailers and farmers markets where 3SquaresVT (SNAP) benefits are accepted. For families receiving 3SquaresVT, P-EBT benefits will be added to existing EBT cards for students who qualify. For other families, you will receive a special P-EBT card from the Vermont Department for Children and Families for students who qualify.

    P-EBT benefits are meant to replace the value of free school meals that students would have received had the child been at school. The benefits are not available for months when a student’s learning model was 100% “in-person” because the child had access to meals at school. Partial benefits will be provided for months when students attended school in a hybrid learning model. Accessing free meals to eat at home on remote learning days does not impact a student’s eligibility for P-EBT.

    The State is still working to get systems in place to issue these benefits, so we do not expect P-EBT cards to be mailed out or benefits to be available until late March at the earliest. However, the benefits will be retroactive back to September. We will be working with the State to supply information about each student’s eligibility for these benefits.

     In addition to learning model, eligibility for the benefit also depends on a child’s eligibility for free and reduced school meals. All children are able to receive free meals this year due to special COVID-19 waivers obtained by the State. However, to receive the P-EBT benefit, students must either have an approved free and reduced meal application on file or have been directly certified for free school meals. Students may be directly certified for free meals if the household received 3SquaresVT or Reach Up benefits or because the student is state-placed foster, migrant, homeless, runaway or participates in a Head Start program.

    If your student(s), is/are already eligible for free and reduced meals based on information from last year or this year. You do not need to submit a new application for free and reduced school meals. If there are additional students living in your household, please let us know by contacting Rhonda Ketner via email;  rketner@sbschools.net

    If we do not have information or an application on file for your student(s). Please complete and return the Free & Reduced Price Meal Application if you would like to receive the P-EBT benefit. We will review the application to determine if you qualify. Please return the application as soon as possible so that we are able to apply benefits back to September 2020. Benefits will only be available going forward for applications received after April 1, 2021.


    Thank you for your assistance with this. Please see the attached list of frequently asked questions for additional information about P-EBT.


    Rhonda Ketner



    In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.


    Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.


    To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: https://www.usda.gov/oascr/how-to-file-a-program-discrimination-complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

    (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

    1400 Independence Avenue, SW

    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

    (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

    (3) email: program.intake@usda.gov


    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.